Lords Of Anvarath

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
babyneka
Olander
6 posters

Server is a Goner....needs a new host.

Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty Server is a Goner....needs a new host.

Post  Olander Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Well...the Server Computer took a memory hit somehow today and never recovered. I came home from lunch and found it in that condition. So...my hosting days are done. The module is 99% bug free and runs really well....so....if there is another host then the module can run again. I will be plugging the hard drive in a utility cable so that I can grab the info off of it. All is not lost if there will be another host.

Player Characters created on the Server. If you did not Save your character(s) for backup then let me know and I can email you your Server Folder.

**Please note: DungeonSiege Hosting is really poor performance on their CPUs...not an option as a Host.

Sorry.
    Olander/Don Anderson
    babyneka
    babyneka

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty Re: Server is a Goner....needs a new host.

Post  babyneka Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Wow that sucks Sorry O. I have hosted a server before, don't know if that's an option or not. Let me know what you need if you want to.

I did not save my characters...I think.

Does this mean that you will no longer be apart of the server events/admin if we do get another host? I certainly hope not.

Thanks
    Neka
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty Re: Server is a Goner....needs a new host.

Post  Olander Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 am

Well...if there will be a host. Then I shall continue to update the server in packs. Very simple to do really.

If you are interested in hosting it. Please post your specs on your Internet and Computer here.

Recommend: 768kbps Upload speed (the critical part) but 384kbps can work if the max server number of players is kept below 15-20.

The Computer: 32bit XP Pro or 32/64bit Vista/Win7 2.0Ghz or better with 2GB Ram or higher.

If you want to host it....you can also build in it as well....I don't mind. Just don't be a 9Fires and start messing with the Systems and breaking things. LOL. If you want to add things and need some help on how to add something....no problem...we can discuss it in Skype and/or email.

Cheers and Thank You Very Much for the offer of Hosting.
    Don
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:04 am

I am no builder. lol but my computer specs are:
    Dell
    Inspiron 564S
    AMD Phenom 8450e triple core processor 2.10 ghz
    8.0 gig Ram
    64 bit operating System.
    Internet:I think 52Meg but can be upgraded to 128 easily. Upload is pretty good, download is not bad with the current.

My router worked for the last host which happened to be LoME. We had some problems making access for DM's. Don't know if that was the router or NWN2X or whatever the hosting software was called. But we are willing to get a game router if needs be in the beginning of Oct.

I don't know who 9Fires is but he sounds like an ass. LOL. It's still your baby as far as I'm concerned, but would be happy to host it.

Thanks
    Neka
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:47 pm

The computer seems nice. So, let's do it. If you hosted LoME with little trouble then there should not be a problem with this. ORSv6 runs much better.

The Router....you would need a nice Router that can do Port Forwarding and a Static IP for the server computer. LinkSys makes decent routers that are naturally of gaming quality. We can check out the Router you have and see if it can do what is needed.

So...nice. We have a new Host. Very nice. LoA was meant to be long term.....whether there is 2 players or 20...no matter. RP of the highest quality.

Great News Neka

So...I will get that hard drive info off the server and upload it to my FTP for your Download. I will also edit the module and enable your account and the greyfellow account for the DM Tools.

Thank You again Neka

Cheers
    O
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:15 pm

Sounds good. When you're ready just let me know. I do have Skype if that is easier.

I am happy to do it. I am still hoping that player numbers will pick back up. Not sure what happened. But it's an awesome server and we just love it, so we are very happy to help keep it going or anything else you may need.

As far as the router goes it ran fine and kept the ip address and allowed me to allow 20-25 players on. We just could not for some reason get DM access so they could log on. It would crash the server everytime.

Grey likes to build and may be interested in doing some or helping you with some. I am no good at it (it's a patience thing) lol.

Cheers,
    Neka
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:44 am

Sounds good to me, Your machine specs are plenty enough to Run the server. If you need any help setting up let me know.
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:52 am

Fabulous, thanks Twisted.
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Files Uploaded to the FTP.

I sent you a PM for the links and such Neka.

Thanks again for offering up to host.

Cheers
    O
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:44 pm

You're welcome, it's no problem.

I'll get to working on it.
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Server is up and seems to be running well. We still need help with getting DM Access.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:08 am

I had the same issue when I attempted to Host it, I might be wrong, best I remember that happens if module is too big to hold the scripts, and to get around it you add extra scripts etc to the hak file otherwise Dm client crashes......Do you have anything added to any of your Local Haks on the server Olander??? One of the main reasons I also suspect this also is some things where missing and did'nt show up in the build I had, and would make sense if that info was shoved in one of the haks on the local server. I know for sure we did it that way on lome.
    Basically if the info is added to one of the local haks it takes the burden from the module. It's only done on the server side.
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Nah. No Builder/Server Side hak here. Everything is in the Module. There was a Hak Patch awile ago that would do as TW suggested....but I think everyone hss gotten that. I think it is a Port Forwarding Issue. People are getting forwarded to the same port as the Server.

What is the Port Set up for the Server? 5120 or 5121? Also...in your Router you must have a Port Range Hmm...I will paste the Router Setup....

Cheers O.

1) Turn Firewall Off but leave NAT On (This is the real Firewall anyhow)

2) Neverwinter Nights uses UDP, not TCP for its connections.
    3) Make sure that the following ports are open:

* Ports 5120 through 5300
    * Port 6500
    * Port 27900
    * Port 28900

In addition to opening the ports listed above, you may need to allow incoming connections on the port you are running your server on (5121 by default) and forward those connections to the computer running the server.

If you have multiple computers behind a router and you want to play multiplayer with 2 or more of them at the same time, you must ensure the Client Port setting for each computer is set to a different value. You will find this entry in the file nwnplayer.ini Simply double click on it to open it, and look for the Client Port= line in the [Profile] section. Change this from the default value of 5120 on each machine. You have to stay in a certain range, so use numbers like 5121, 5122, 5123, etc.

If your server does not appear on the GameSpy game list:

1. Verify that it is does not appear for other users. It may not be appearing for you because your game is published by your external IP address, this address may not be valid from inside your router.
    2. Verify that the server is accessible from the Internet, have a friend Direct Connect using your external IP address.

Make sure that your NAT is set up to allow the game to play here are some details.

Outgoing packets

* Source port: 5120-5129
    * Destination port: 5121-5300

Incoming packets

* Source port: 5121-5300
    * Destination port: 5120-5129

On the Game Client side, here are some changes to make things go better. Go to your nwnplayer.ini file in your Neverwinter Nights install directory, and find the following section:

[Profile]
    Client Port=XXXX

Our suggestion is to change XXXX to 5120.

Also, if you are using DHCP in your Router, to give dynamic IPs to your computers in the network, then turn that off. It often has problems with port forwarding. Instead, do static IPs for your computers in the network, all in the same range as your standard gateway (the Router's internal IP address i.e. for a Siemens router it is usually the 192.168.2.1). You will need to put this as the standard gateway and you will need the IPs for the DNS servers from your ISP.

Caveat....some Routers can be set up for Static below a certain Range and DHCP for above that Range (ie 192.168.2.1-99 are Static and 192.168.2.100-255 are DHCP) The Server MUST be Static but the other Computers can be DHCP no problem. This works well.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:02 am

Hmm That would make Dm client Crash On a Local server?
    I mean that's the Only module I have that crashes on DM client. There has got to be something in the module that does it. It does same thing on mine and Nekas but worked on yours.
    Only thing that could be different is the local haks.
    Only thing I've ever heard that causes it is a pallet issue.
    you sure you didn't stick any of the pallet info into another hak like Your local CEP files?
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Nope. No Builder side haks on this one TW.

There may be 1 difference....should not make things crash....but....since you are having the issue. I remove all the CEP Blueprints except the placeables. cep2_add_sb_v1 is the hak. This was on the Server as well as my machine. However, everyone could easily log into my server no problem. So I don't think this is the issue. Stranger things have happened though. As long as you can open the Module and Build/Paint in it....you can Player and DM Client in it. Has to be something simple that is happening. Yes...the Clients will crash if the Ports are not set up properly.

Ok...also just checked the Player and DM Client both and they are not being broadcasted to Gamespy...at least I am not seeing them. Direct Connect can work but the Internet Side of the IP is needed to make the connection. However, I have seen where Firewalls and NAT really screw things up and Direct Connect may only work 50% of the time. So....what I found works is making sure that the Module shows up in Gamespy....which is Port 5120....Client Ports are 5121 and higher.

I suppose I should get the Server's INI file and compare to what you have. Maybe there is a difference? I will be at the hotel and available after 6pm CST. We can get this resolved.
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Something else I was thinking....should have asked this before.

I remember a long time ago...in a galaxy far far away....ok...bad....the same thing you folks are saying was also happening to ScrewTape and I when we were testing the original ORS for Server Play. We were using HCR with no Haks but this also happened with Original CEP too.

What we found is....if NWServer is running on the SAME machine you are playing on the game engine gets in a Loop Mode when associating Client Porting through a Router.

Small explanation....a connection happens in the Router first to the IP From Gamespy which is Port 5120 which gets forwarded to the Aurora Engine which has a list of Client Ports and starts at 5121 which then sends that Port Information back to Gamespy/Client for Server Sync. Now those two clients are happy. So...another Client (DM or Player) logs in...5120 and the same thing happens except it is now 5122 for the Client.

On the same page so far?

Now...this is where things get ugly....So....let's say that NWServer is used to run a Stand Alone instance of a module. Then...on the same computer you fire up NWN to play on that Server. This computer's Port is set up as...say...5121...for the Local Computer Setup. However, the DM Client and NWServer requires Port 5120 for the base port for forwarding rules and the Router also requires that for NAT Traffic. If a Firewall is turned on....that adds to the problems. What happens is the Router cannot figure out that NWServer is at 5121 so the Client crashes.

So...why can players log in and not a DM? There is a Default mode for the DMClient and ONLY 1 DM can be logged into the Instanced Server....or in the case of 2 NWN Instances on the same computer...well...the Game gets in some sort of loop for DMClient connections.

The only reliable resolution that I found was to have a completely separate computer running NWServer (and only 1 of them....yes...heard of people running multiple NWServers on 1 rig....I don't believe them LOL) for clients to log into. Once I did this....never had a problem again.

Also...1 thing....I have a really nice router that has no trouble with gaming issues like Routing Tables and such. Quite a few broadband routers out there can do Online Gaming no problem....however...running something from inside the local network and letting people log in is a real problem with them. 'Gaming' class routers all have the capability of proper NAT and Port Forwarding to allow good security but also very reliable connections.

Cheers
    Olander
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I think you're last post explains the problem. Server is down. After we adjusted the router it ran for about 10 hours and then just quit. So the router is the problem. We are getting a gaming router at the end of the week, so hopefully that will work. I would love to put it on another computer and just let it run but I don't have one and I need my computer for work and school. So hopefully we can get this to work.

The router we have now still works just isn't set up properly for hosting. So if you guys want to see if that can be fixed, that would be great.

I have to work tonight but Grey will be here and can work on it with you. He is the one that does that stuff anyways. He will probably be logged in as me though lol.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:35 am

Yea I tested the loop crash thing already while you where on vacation.Smile
    I have a dedicated server test machine on the local lan.
    I tested with different pc's on my local network using different routing ports ..... same issue

However Dm client works on all my other PW mods. This is only mod that does this right now however I have seen this problem before.

Running a lan game takes gamespy and the router out of the loop. I dont need my router setup to even post to internet for a lan game to work yet it had same Dm crash.
    I still say somthing goofy with pallet Wink
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:41 am

Good info TW. Did not know you had a dedicated Test Rig.

So...in that case. I have absolutely no idea why the crashing on DM Client. If the Haks were different then you would crash as well. Everything is default CEPv2.3 and then there are the LoA Haks.

TW...sending you the link with the current module.

If this is not going to work....sorry Neka and Grey....really should use a Stand Alone Computer....if this is not going to work.....then maybe it is time to hang up the NWN game. I will be honest....I think Lord of the Rings Online becoming free for most of the game has taken a toll on many games in the RPG genre. Couple that with the first Server crash when I was away on vacation....LoA has taken a beating. We had a good player base and growing but something pissed off the players.

Anyhow...no more stating the obvious. LOL.

If the server is not going to work....it simply is not going to work.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:10 am

You know I've been though what six servers with you now? lol player base always tapers off at the end of the year. So much stuff to do. Guys like us are trying to get projects done by year end and students are Busy with school etc....Server crashed for a couple weeks people woke up from their Anvarath Induced Trance and Went out into the real world for a bit most likely. Games like LOTRO and Warcraft pull us in from time to time, but at the end of the day that nagging pull remains for real Role play. That fix you can only get from Taking part in creating a great story, and that's what always brings us back. No online MMORPG has manged to capture that yet, and Until it does I'll always eventually find myself on the shores of Anvarath or some other future Adventure. Preferably in NWN2 next time ;)Perhaps though the Story of Anvarath is not yet finished. Perhaps we can prop her back up on her feet, and see if she has a few more tales to tell.

I'll do some testing and let you guys know What I find out. I a few Ideas how to fix it.

Neka I can help you with your router if we can setup a time.
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:36 pm

Well...I was checking on the prices of a MB/CPU Box Set at the local computer store. There is a nice sale locally and I can get something decent for $150 and change. A little better than the previous server so a small performance upgrade. Not too expensive either so not burning too much cash. Can always use this computer for something else later. NWN is hard on computers! LOL (Cash Flow is tight right now since billing is tough and work is busy....better working and 'will' get paid than not working).

Shall we do that instead? I can put it together on Saturday Morning (I get home late Friday night) after I return from the store. Since the Hard Drive is still solid....the Server will pick right back up and go.

So...if that sounds fine....then let's go that route. Keeps the complication down and it is a dedicated server that we know works.

TW...you are correct my friend. NWN (with the ORS of course LOL) is the most amazing role play on the planet....period. That is why we are still here. Ohh...btw...WoW sucks, hate it, terrible....LoTRO is a very nice game, still lacking roleplay but some can be found.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:42 pm

That Sounds Great. My test servers primary Function is a Media Box to Stream Video From, and also a file sharing server, So yea it's always good to have an Extra PC around. You know I would have never thought I'd end up back playing nwn 1 again, I was done I had found some great Servers in nwn2 and I had made up my mind to Stay, But Anvarath Brought me back Just remember things maybe slow now, But I guarantee If you Post an event on the Forum people will show up. I don't have allot of time in next couple months, but If I get a couple days notice I'll try to make time.
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:24 pm

We were definitely sad at the idea that LOA might go away. Very happy to hear there is a solution. TW is right, work sucks and life gets busy but when you need a place to go for fun, rp and good people, the server is the place.

Thanks O and TW.
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:36 am

Server is up and playable....Finally. Got a bigger discount than I originally found...so...got by with a less expensive fix. LOL

Anyhow....play away. We will schedule an event soon.

Cheers
    O
    babyneka
    babyneka

Post  babyneka Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:28 am

WOOT!
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Server restarted last night with a PC Update....forgot to place NWNX2 back into Start Up Folder....so Server was down for sometime last night.

All is back up now.

Cheers
    O
    BlackRavan
    BlackRavan
    Admin

Post  BlackRavan Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:38 am

I am still around in case anyone is wondering. Just been really busy. Will see you all in game. Very Happy
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Anvarath Banner is up on nwn vault.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty server is down again

Post  twistedwolf Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:44 am

I played some this weekend server hung up and has not come back since then that I know of. Been down past couple days. unable to reboot remotely so we'll have to see if O gets it back up. I know it's been real slow lately
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:30 pm

I let the server go for more than 30hours late in the week...went on memory lock. Computer is fine. Just cannot go more than 30hours or so before the game engine leaks enough for the memory lock.

Server is running again
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:04 pm

No signs of life from the server. It's been down for few weeks now.
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:55 am

So um I may still have a copy of the mod somewhere. Anyone interested in hosting?
    NOITCA
    NOITCA

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty Awwww......dangit!

Post  NOITCA Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:22 am

Sad I guess, Anvarath is down for good?
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Post  twistedwolf Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:32 am

Yea no word from Olander for a few months now. ;(
    mightyapu

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty best wishes

Post  mightyapu Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:56 pm

Just in case anyone still bobs in to check these forums anymore i'd like to wish you all the very best for the new year and hope you had a great time with family over the holidays!

Take care

Drago Burrick
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty The Death and Return of Anvarath.

Post  twistedwolf Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:08 am

And then a darkness fell upon the lands of Anvarath and over the oceans and even the stars in the skies became dim. The land wept for all hope was lost and all the peoples of Anvarath Cried out for mercy. And when it seemed that Anvarath was lost forever into the inky void of night the flapping of leathery wings could be heard echoing throughout the land. Suddenly the darkness boiled away to the blinding light of Dragons fire and Anvarath was reborn.

[img]Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Anvarth [/img]
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:42 am

Well said TW! I decided to buy a new server. TW and I decided to Merge the Old Anvarath which behelden a special place in many of our souls with the new Lords of Anvarath which met a gruesome end with the Server Crash. LoA was becoming a lot of fun but it was really glitchy and a lot of time and work was lost due to crashes (none of you knew about this). Anyhow...I finally figured out the glitch and Twisted...well...twisted my arm and gave me a push. We are working on bringing back the baddest biggest nastiest best RPing environment ever created.

From the Book of Erudial (by Don Anderson, aka Olander)

A small light there stood in the vast emptiness of the void. The light rotated and pulsed with an energy of life. Seven bright sparks, the Continuuari, gathered in an evenly spaced circle about the expanding light. One of seven came forward to the soft pure light. Erudial, the One of Seven Who Stands Alone, pushes it outwards ever growing brighter. The soft glow became white, hot white. Waves of blue and violet sizzling pulses rippled across the void like waves from a droplet of water on a still pond. Wave after wave of light expanding and cooling. Pools of light began to swirl like a spoon that stirs the tea in the cup. The hot white light pulsated like a beating heart ever faster. Wave after wave of Erudial's will expanded over the vastness of the void. The myriad of swirling colors ever moving faster. The Will filled the searing ball until pillars of light beamed from its rippling surface on the top and bottom. The white hot ball took its last pulsating breath before each pillar plunged back into the searing ball of light rupturing it into a massive disk of gas and dust. Waves of sizzling energy rolled from the center of the dissipating light.

Life had been given to the blackness of the void. For black and lifeless it was no longer. Out of the center of the disk where once the white searing ball stood came the four spirits of Erudial. Fire to warm the cold of the void, Earth and Water to provide and nourish, and Air to sustain what has been created.

Amidst the swirling gas and light a spark appeared. A spark of Erudial's will. The spark grew becoming light. Larger and hotter it grew until stone and ice drew nearer and began to swirl. In the cloud nine vast stones gathered dust and ice toward them. Some collected more than others but one was given a spark of light much like the great yellow glowing ball in the center of the disk. The four spirits of Erudial danced together in perfect harmony around this second spark. The spirit of Fire melted the stone, while the spirit of Air made it rotate. The spirits of Earth and Water cooled the surface into a thick crust. The spirit of Air creates a blanket around the rough and jagged sphere. Dancing together the four spirits make steam that cooled and fell as rain. Great oceans are made and the sphere becomes a blue sapphire gem in the blackness of the void. Erudial and the four spirits deem this sapphire gem Anvarath.
    mightyapu

Post  mightyapu Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Utterly delighted!

And i know i'm being impatient...but...any eta?
    BlackRavan
    BlackRavan
    Admin

Post  BlackRavan Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Didn't believe you when you said these were still up O, but it seems that they are indeed still up. Which is very surprising considering there has been no activity for quite sometime.
    Olander
    Olander
    Admin

Post  Olander Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 am

Server is now Up for those that are following this.

Sending out a Forum Email now.

Cheers
    O
    twistedwolf
    twistedwolf

Server is a Goner....needs a new host. Empty New forums

Post  twistedwolf Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:47 am

Alright everyone. New forum is located at

http://anvarath.forumotion.com/

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 5:34 pm